Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Someone who (almost) gets it

Retired Mississippi English teacher, Jan Busby, nails the myth that more tax money will fix schools in Mississippi (or anywhere else for that matter):

Beware, taxpayers - especially parents - what government affords you and your children in the name of "education."

The Mississippi Department of Education has now asked for millions more tax dollars to be added to a budget of billions. It is absolutely mandatory that intelligent, concerned voters ask and receive answers as to how these billions will directly help our children. As you discover how the money in the state budget is used, you will be amazed.

Can I get an "amen"?
Well, not so fast. She lost me here:

Though I, too, dread April 15, I want to pay my taxes to the American government that protects me, makes me free.

Education should provide the groundwork for our government - our democracy.

As usual, I write this in the spirit of concern, for education is still my passion. And public education is absolutely necessary. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

So, homeschool.

I disagree with the latter statement for obvious reasons but take unique exception to the two above it. Taxes and systems of gov't don't make or keep us free. And I don't think our gov't (once again, not a democracy, hello.) should be in the business of educating children. Nor do I think said education provides the groundwork for said gov't. Nuff said.

Other than that, it's not so bad. Worth a read.

HT: Mr. Criss

No comments: