Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Today must be my birthday!

Comments have been disabled. View archived RR&R comments here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Update: More from Mimi and Howie (and others) in the comments here. ]

I just found this in my inbox:

My name is Mimi Rothschild and I have been an active and avid supporter of homeschooling and child advocacy issues for the past 22 years. I believe we share many of the same values and goals regarding our views on education and children.

It has come to my attention that you have posted unfavorable things about me on your blog. It is very hurtful and I am writing to ask you to please call me if I have in any way harmed you. I have no idea what would cause you to be so angry with me and to post such unpleasant things. I would greatly appreciate it if you would contact me directly.

Thank you.

Warm Regards,
Mimi Rothschild

Warm regards. Isn't that nice? I think we could be friends, except that--contrary to her above assumption--we don't have that much in common. Plus, I don't think she really likes me. She didn't address me personally, refer directly to anything allegedly "unpleasant" so that I might properly make amends, list a phone number so that I could "please call" her, or send her note to my widely published email address. Even the subject line "Important Message for Natalie Criss" just doesn't seem all that warm and fuzzy.

Suddenly, I don't feel so special anymore.

I suspect this a form letter she sends out after googling her name. Bothering me is a baseless waste of time, but you know what they say: There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Dear Mimi,

You're welcome.

Sincerely,
Natalie Criss
-------------------
[Note: There was no disclaimer included with this email, therefore I don't have any qualms publishing it. When dealing with a threatening person it's best to keep all this out in the open, therefore this is as direct as any response to Mimi from me will get. Just wanted to lend some perspective to anyone who might have thought I was being unfair.]